Major US grant to be spent on stem cell research within type 1 diabetes

A major grant has been awarded to a US researcher who will further investigate stem cell therapies for type 1 diabetes treatments.



Xiaojun "Lance" Lian, assistant professor of biomedical engineering at Penn State University, is one of three recipients of the College of Engineering's ENGineering for Innovation &Entrepreneurship (ENGINE) grant.

Now in its fifth year, ENGINE grants provide financial support to early-stage research results through a proof-of-concept phase.

Professor Lian and his team have already exploring making functional beta cells from stem cells. But there are hurdles, and transplanting beta cells does not always work.

One of the key issues is the lack of robust cell culture systems that enable stem cells to be differentiated into beta cells.

Prof Lian has developed a method which he believes may address this problem. He said: "Our new method is an improvement on previous growth-factor dependent methods, which use proteins to stimulate differentiation. This is due to small molecules being more stable, easy and cheap to manufacture, thus making stem cell differentiation more efficient and cost-effective."

Lian and colleagues plan to use the grant money to recruit students to test the new differentiation kits, which will then be shipped to other researchers for further testing.

"Completion of this project will hopefully yield two stem-cell-differentiation kits, which would have immediate potential for broad commercial impact on the treatment of type 1 diabetes."

A committee of internal and external experts in technology reviewed all applicants for the grant.

Earlier this year, scientists from the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) made a breakthrough by turning stem cells into insulin-producing cells for the first time without the need for subsequent immunosuppressant drugs.

Stay tuned to us to know upcoming researches in Diabetes...!!!

To share your view, write back to us at : diabetes@europemeet.com
Phone & Whats app: +44-203 936-3178 
UK toll free: 44-808-101-7605

US toll free: 1-800-985-2178 


Comments

  1. This is my testimony on how i was cured by Dr Idahosa, i am Juliet Pius i had Hiv Disease for 2years and i tried all means to treat my self but no doctor could help me cure the Hiv permanently i even took some drugs that was prescribe to me by many doctors but none could work i felt it was going to stay permanently since i could not cure my self until one day i was browsing through the internet i saw different testimony with different people on how they were cured from the disease by Dr Idahosa i never wanted to try because i knew anything done with internet were always scam but because of the pain i have i gave it a try and email him and he replied back i told him my problem he prepared a portion and send it to me which he instructed i should take morning and night i did it constantly and suddenly i started having change in me, so my brothers and sisters am glad to say Dr Idahosa has cured me from my Hiv disease he can cure any disease or sickness if you give him a try, you can email him today at; (dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com) or whatssap him +2348134261542 he is a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but brink back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  3. From 2002 to 2019, I was battling this terrible disease called Diabetes, I couldn't afford so many things, as I was spending about 70% of my income on treating diabetes and liver problems. little did i know that my medications were the main cause of this issue. After spending tons of money nursing my diabetes, my wife’s friend messaged her on facebook,  Sarah told her about  the  great herbalist Dr  James,who uses herbs and roots extract to cure diseases that have been said to be incurable by drugs and injections from Nigeria in west A frica, my wife explained to Dr.James what’s going on with me, and Dr.James asked what i have been using, after my wife explained to him, he asked if i was having blurred vision, kidney issues or any other complications, my wife told him i had blurry vision and liver issues, and he confirmed that the medicines i have been using is the cause of the complications. That was when it occurred to me that my doctor had changed my medications 5 times within the space of 12 years. I took my time to read about the side effects of the medicine i was using, lo and behold, I was shocked.
    After 2 days, we ordered Dr.James  natural  herbs cure for Diabetes treatments and he also gave some directives on what to do, in a 4 days time , the supplements arrived in the States, and my husband started using the herbal medicine in accordance with Dr.James directives. so my husband used the herbal medicine accordingly as he was told. After the completion of the treatment on the 4th week, with  Dr.James herbal medicine, from 2019 till date, my husband  has been feeding normally like everybody else. After I saw these changes in 2019, I told some people I know about  Dr. James herbal mix medicine in west Africa , they used it and told others about it and the good news about Dr.James herbal healings keeps spreading.
    As interesting as this is, Dr.James have has cure for diseases like Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid. just reach him on his Email  [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com].  

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What causes a red spot on the eye?

Diabetes: Can cheese control blood sugar?

Which are the best bedtime snacks for diabetes?